Guesthouse chapel

Contact

Address:
Gasthuiskapel
Voorstraat 30
4132 AS Vianen
Plan your route

The current map of the centre of Vianen is remarkably similar to the map in mediaeval times. These correspondences are not only limited to the map. On Stadhuisstraat, the layout of the mediaeval building complex can still be clearly seen. At the front is the old town hall, behind it the former guesthouse and finally the former guesthouse chapel.

The guesthouse and the guesthouse chapel were probably founded in the 14th or 15th Century. Unfortunately, there are no sources to support this, so it’s not known who founded them or in what year. The chapel, together with the guesthouse, probably served as a shelter for the poor, sick and passers-by. From 1566, the Catholic inhabitants of Vianen used the chapel as a church. However, they didn’t stay there for long: in 1578, the Catholics relocated to a clandestine church.

In …

The current map of the centre of Vianen is remarkably similar to the map in mediaeval times. These correspondences are not only limited to the map. On Stadhuisstraat, the layout of the mediaeval building complex can still be clearly seen. At the front is the old town hall, behind it the former guesthouse and finally the former guesthouse chapel.

The guesthouse and the guesthouse chapel were probably founded in the 14th or 15th Century. Unfortunately, there are no sources to support this, so it’s not known who founded them or in what year. The chapel, together with the guesthouse, probably served as a shelter for the poor, sick and passers-by. From 1566, the Catholic inhabitants of Vianen used the chapel as a church. However, they didn’t stay there for long: in 1578, the Catholics relocated to a clandestine church.

In the 17th Century, the chapel regained part of its original purpose and became an almshouse for the Old Men’s and Women’s Home. In the year 1730, Simon Hendrik Adolf, Count Von Lippe and Lord of Vianen donated the chapel to the Walloon municipality. After the dissolution of this municipality in 1822, the building was used as a warehouse until it underwent a major restoration in the mid-20th Century. In this restoration, the chapel was demolished and rebuilt up to one metre from the ground.

Further reading: Vianen town hallVianen Catholic ChurchGrote Kerk Vianen (Great Church)Old Men’s Home VianenVianen Municipal MuseumVianen town centre

Location