In the olden days there was a drainage sluice here that channelled excess water from the Linge river. In 1787 this sluice become part of the Old Dutch Water Line. A steam-powered pumping station was built in its place in 1857, in which craftsman Willem Heesen established his glassworks in 1977.
Bernard Heesen is without question a Dutch Master of glass art. He plays with preconceptions about glass and pushes the boundaries of glass-blowing. His glass goblets for example never stand perfectly straight, but tilt ever so slightly as though tipsy from one too many.
Bernard has led the glassworks at De Oude Horn since 1995. He has collaborated with artists and designers including Andries Copier, Maria Roosen and Tony Cragg.
De Oude Horn holds open days on the first Sunday of every month, from 12.00 - 17.00. Currently the open days are suspended due to Corona measures.