Hofplein water pump

Contact

Address:
Waterpomp Hofplein
Hofplein 25
4132 VK Vianen
Plan your route

Together with Hofpoort, the water pump on Hofplein is one of the last visible memories of the once widely known Batestein Castle. The pump was built in the year 1648 on the orders of Johan Wolfert van Brederode during a major operation to renovate and beautify the castle. The design of the pump is attributed to Jacob van Campen, who was the architect of the Royal Palace in Amsterdam, among other buildings.

The two mythical namesakes of Vianen are depicted on the pump: Fy and Jane, two hostesses from a local tavern. As the story goes, a lord of the Van Beusichem family was unable to choose between the ladies and built a house in the area that he named after both women: Vianen.

The pump was seriou…

Together with Hofpoort, the water pump on Hofplein is one of the last visible memories of the once widely known Batestein Castle. The pump was built in the year 1648 on the orders of Johan Wolfert van Brederode during a major operation to renovate and beautify the castle. The design of the pump is attributed to Jacob van Campen, who was the architect of the Royal Palace in Amsterdam, among other buildings.

The two mythical namesakes of Vianen are depicted on the pump: Fy and Jane, two hostesses from a local tavern. As the story goes, a lord of the Van Beusichem family was unable to choose between the ladies and built a house in the area that he named after both women: Vianen.

The pump was seriously damaged in 1948 during a collision with a truck. In the subsequent restoration in 1952, the female figure and the sand-catching dolphin were replaced. The pump was also moved. The door with the female figure at the back was saved and is now kept in storage at Vianen Municipal Museum.

Further reading: The HofpoortBatestein CastleSundial on LijnbaanVianen town centreVianen Municipal Museum

Location