In 1815, a fan lock was built into the Lekdijk near Goilberdingen for inundation purposes. It was protected by an earthen battery. In 1848, the battery was upgraded to a fort. Later on, the inundation system was optimised, and four bomb-proof buildings were added to the fort. In peacetime, the road on top of the dyke ran right through the fort, but traffic was led around the fort in times of mobilisation. In 1939, seven concrete shelters and two machine gun casemates were added. An unusual feature is the high free-standing wall in a field to the south of the fort. This was the stop butt of a German firing range.